Before we got into town to do the walk we stopped to see Kathleen Smith’s bottle trees and mosaic creations.
Dam and Bridge on the Llano River.
A better view of the dam.
This machine was used in the production of block ice in 1904.
This log cabin (1860) is the oldest structure in Llano. Originally upstream and on other side of river. Moved here in 1991.
The bell in this tower once served the San Fernando Academy, founded in 1883 in Pontotoc, a community 20 miles west of Llano.
The museum is the old Bruhl’s Drug Store (1922-1957). Given to Llano County Historical Society in 1967.
Walk continued past the Llano Depot which is now a visitor’s center.
Nice old caboose sitting next to the depot.
Interesting building out to Bessemer Street. Historical marker says it was built in 1919 to house the Cassaday-Grey Granite Company. Granite company closed by 1929 Stock Market Crash.
Crossed the river.
Softshell Turtle on the rocks below.
Historical markers about the Granite Company in Grenwelge Park.
The Llano Red Top Jail is an imposing Romanesque Revival structure. During the iron ore boomtown era of the 1890s, the Red Top with its 4-story gallows tower became a constant reminder to outlaws that they should keep their guns at home.
Deer at the entrance wears a prison uniform and has a ball and chain on his leg.
Starting into the residential area.
This one is now a bed and breakfast.
Just a pretty house.
Llano Cemetery began in 1862 (The city was chartered in 1856).
Leaving the cemetery we passed this neat “rock garden”.
The walk continued past this old rock house with a yard full of “Wandering Jew”.
Old rock church.
Another old church.
Ed and the WWI Memorial.
The Llano County Courthouse built in 1893 is in the Romanesque Revival style, made of sandstone, marble, and granite. It has a large corner tower that holds a clock..
This Second Empire Style building was designed to be a stagecoach stop between Mason and Burnet. It later serving as a hotel and a boarding house. It was originally only a two-story building, a third floor was added when Colonel W.A.H. Miller bought the hotel in 1883. It was later renamed the Colonial Inn. It ceased operations in the 1950s.
This attractive little theater originally opened in 1927. It still shows movies today.
On the other end of the courthouse is a tall Confederate Monument erected by the United daughters of the Confederacy in 1915.
Near the finish we passed the Badu Building. It was designed by Larramour and Watson. The Badu building was erected in 1890 by the Llano Improvement and Furnace Company, as the location of the newly chartered First National Bank.